Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Our School Tool Box For Diabetes





Since our last blog I have had several people ask me how I use the Pencil box to hold emergency supplies so I wanted to share with you more information on how this works so well.

1. Most children as they advance in school have more than one classroom that they are in during the day. My daughter is actually in 7 different classrooms and my son is in 6.

2. I have found that by providing some basic information and supplies to each class room makes our school teachers more comfortable and it has also allowed our children easy access to some essentials they may need.

3. In the box which is just a plastic pencil box you can get at any store for 1.00, I place the following items:

A. A box of test strips (my children are always running out and forgetting that they are on their last one). My children know that each class box has test strips so they always have test strips available.
B. A drink box, i use the little drink boxes they fit perfectly and again this provides a fast easy sugar if by some chance they need it and don't have one on them. Again my children are forever using and not remembering that they don't have one. (they are kids right).
C. My favorite the Dex Bites! I absolutely love these, the container fits perfectly in the pencil box and again its a fast acting sugar easily available for emergencies.
D. Cake Gel or Dex Glucose gel work best, this is available just in case of emergency for the teachers to wipe on their gums should my child be unresponsive and provides them something to administor while waiting for 911 to come.

4. To top it all off I attach a label to the top of each box that list my childs name, my phone number, my husbands phone number, the label says emergency box and says in case the child is unresponsive apply cake gel and call 911.

I think the label really helps because it is clearly written on what to do in an emergency because during emergencies people get nervous and can't think straight.

We do everything we can to help provide our schools with all the tools to keep our children safe and we have found these boxes to work wonderfully.

This is just our personal way of helping our children and teachers in school if you have any questions pertaining to what we carry in the box or its effectiveness please discuss with your doctor. This is strictly an oponion and by no means medical advice.

No comments: