Friday, March 26, 2010

I Don't Want To Go!




We have been having terrible blood sugars with our daughter Nikki who is now 12 years old, It could be that we are exiting the tween age group and will soon be entering the teen age group (ok I am looking for excuses). I have heard as they near the teenage years the numbers are more difficult to control. This past 3 months have not been good. We have also had our moments of not wanting to test or the famous I forgot to test and bolus (this I will never understand how you forget when you have been doing it all your life). It’s a time where I feel that I have lost control over being able to rein in on all of our blood sugars. ( I can’t believe I am saying this but I actually liked having control of everything she ate and what the numbers were when Nikki was small) as she gets older I have to rely on her to do the testing and blousing, which is becoming an issue. The high blood sugars also do not make for a "nice" Nikki, so I hope you can feel my frustration and aggravation at the constant nagging for her to test and bolus. I can check and double check and believe me I get the answers I want however, looking at her pump tells a different story.

As Nikki’s next doctor appointment approaches (the last one wasn’t good) I don’t see much of a change. I can honestly say I would rather not go to this doctor appointment. It’s terrible but I feel that these appointments are more about us than about her. It is very difficult to be with them 24/7 to try to make sure they are doing what they should. Yes, I am checking the pump, Yes we are reminding her to test, Yes we are making sure she remembers to bolus (when she is with us). However, she is no longer with us 24/7 so now we have to rely on checking her pump history to see what she has been doing. Yes we have tried the sensor (she totally ignores the alarms). I think we are going through a combination of the age (almost 13) and the “I forgot” stage. Next week is spring break she will be back in my control! New senor will start and hopefully we will get it going on the right track again.

As we crack down once on trying to find a positive way to reinforce good diabetes practices I simply dread this upcoming appointment. So I have come up with the solution! I am sending her in with dad and I am taking the day off! Stay tune !

Visit Us At Pump Wear Inc. & Girly Girl Studio

No comments: