Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The "Mommy Meter"



The Mommy Meter!

If you are a parent of a child with diabetes you will totally understand where I am going with this! When our first child was diagnosed she was 2.5 years old, we were on such a roller coaster of blood sugar highs and lows that we eventually ended up moving her into our bed just to save the time of having to get up and down so much and to try to grab some precious moments of sleep while monitoring if she was alright. Those of you with little ones can really relate to being sleep deprived. Until you have a child with diabetes I don’t think you can entirely understand how all those sleepless nights can really take their toll. It amazes me how I can sometimes just wake up and know that I need to test her! It’s like there is a Mommy Meter in me!

As Nikki got older and we installed baby monitors into bedrooms we weren’t up and down quite so much. Two years after Nikki was diagnosed the boys were diagnosed within 4 months of each other and our house took on a whole new meaning of the words night owl. There were constant night checks, blood sugar corrections and that need to just make sure they were all alright. This we would do automatically every night based on everyone’s blood sugar before going to bed. But every once in a while even though things all appeared to be right something would trigger in me to check someone’s blood sugar and 9 out of 10 times I would catch a high or a low. How did I know to check? It’s what I call my “Mommy Meter”. Just a feeling that comes over me to get up and check.

As the years have come and gone and with the help of sensors and new technology we now find that we can catch up a little on some of that lost sleep. Yet some nights you just get that sense that wakes you up and tells you to check a blood sugar and low and behold you catch a 33 blood sugar! That’s my “Mommy Meter”at work again telling me to check. I have found that the Mommy Meter has been more accurate sometimes than all the technology out there so I say always go with your “Mommy Meter” and yes I know there’s a “Daddy Meter” out there too.

Visit Us at Pump Wear

Julie
Mom of Adam, Patrick & Nikki

No comments: