Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Feel Like I Am Banging My Head Against A Wall!



Do you sometimes feel like you are banging your head against a wall? That’s the way I feel every time I hear someone tell me that they know all about diabetes because their grandmother has it makes me want to explode. Of course they are talking about type 2 diabetes.

Although the two disease outcomes are the same there is a clear difference for someone with type 1 diabetes and someone who has type 2 diabetes. I don’t like that they group them together. The way I try to explain it is that people with type 1 diabetes do not produce insulin therefore they are insulin dependent for life, what they eat, how much they eat and no matter how in control they are of their diabetes they will always have to take insulin to live. A person with type 2 diabetes is different in the fact that they can often control their diabetes without having to take insulin by regulating diet and exercise they still produce insulin but their bodies don’t use it well someone with Type 1 diabetes does not produce insulin at all and no matter what they do they will always have to take insulin it is not a life choice and the control is out of their hands all they can hope to do is to control it as close to a normal blood sugar as they can in hopes of avoiding complications.

I feel for all people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes because both forms of the disease are so very difficult to control and the outcome is devastating to both. However, I am irritated when people tell me they don’t need to know about type 1 where my child is concerned because they know all about diabetes. Then you ask them what they know about it and they tell you that their mother, grandmother and other family member has diabetes but they take pills or regulate it with food and exercise and on occasion may have to take insulin.

I would like to say for the record: Type 1 diabetes is different! It’s the harshest form of diabetes that has no rhyme or reason! Just my 2 cents!

Visit us at Pump Wear Inc.
Where Kids are Kids and Adults Just Have Fun!

No comments: